Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A few things I don't miss about London (plus one I do)

'm in London for a friend's wedding and it's the first time I've set foot on home soil in nearly two years. I know what I miss about the place, but a few of London's annoyances had slipped my mind.

Pigeons

Ok, so every city has it's fair share of winged rats, but nowhere else on earth have I seen them quite so diseased and malformed. Everywhere I turn there are hordes of feathered vermin, staggering around blindly on twisted one-toed feet, feeding off cigarette butts and vomit.

No window screens

I get the reasons why most buildings in the UK don't have air conditioning; summers never used to be this warm; it's too expensive retro-fitting old homes; it's bad for the environment; blah, blah, blah. But if that means keeping the windows open most of the summer, wouldn't it be logical to install screens; if only to prevent every insect in the country from biting you, drinking your blood, and laying eggs in your face while you sleep?

Graffiti

Whilst walking by the river a few days ago we saw a sign over a footbridge which declared 'Bridge closed for repairs due to vandalism'. This was clearly a futile enterrpise, seeing as the sign announcing the planned clean up was itself already covered in graffiti. It's everywhere; on walls, bus stops, garage doors, the sides of houses, even homeless people (OK, I made that last one up). It's so prevalent that I think it's almost invisible to Londoners now.

Something I do still miss though........

A decent pint

American. Beer. Is. Rubbish.

2 comments:

James said...

Come on, you know our insects are far too polite to bite.

Mr Brown said...

But your average house fly will happily vomit on your food, which, if anything, is a better reason to have screens.